When should I get a new HVAC system is a common question a lot of our customers ask our technicians and system advisors daily.
Often, it is easy to know when you should replace your HVAC system. For example, if it is early June and your AC will not turn on could be an indication. Then, when the technician arrives and finds out the AC system has a refrigerant leak that will be expensive to repair, it is probably time to invest in a new HVAC system.
Sometimes putting money into your current system for repairs and upkeep would be the same as throwing money away to fix and repair an old car. There is no use in spending money on something likely to break down again very soon.
However, there are situations when the decision to replace your current HVAC system is not black and white. Maybe your current system is still working, but you can tell that it is about to start giving you problems any day. Or perhaps the system has worked well for you but is now reaching the end of its life expectancy.
Or perhaps it is already causing you problems!
Signs it is time to replace your working HVAC system
Before we get into a discussion about the best time of year to replace your HVAC system, let’s talk about some signs to consider when thinking of replacing a working furnace or AC system:
- Your system is over 12 years old. The general lifespan of an HVAC system is 12 to 18 years. Around 12 years is when most systems begin experiencing problems. Often minor problems like a dead capacitor or burnt-out control board can easily be repaired, but these small issues are signs of more significant issues yet to come. If you have a system 15 years or older that has a refrigerant leak or a bad compressor … replacing the system is a no brainer!
- You are ready for a more efficient system. Today’s options for HVAC systems are significantly more efficient than in the past. There are many options available for different needs, such as variable speed units, two-staged systems, and even higher SEER units.
- You have already spent a lot of money on repairs. If you have already spent a lot of money on repairs and now you are having more problems, it is time to replace the system.
- You need to replace either the AC or furnace. It is usually more cost-effective to replace both units at the same time, especially when both are the same age.
- The AC uses R-22 refrigerant. Since the EPA has banned R-22 refrigerant, the freon is more expensive and hard to come by. Adding R-22 to an older system can become costly, especially if the unit has a leak and is likely to continue to leak and lose freon. At this point, it can be more cost-effective to get a new unit that uses 410-A refrigerant and is more efficient.
These are some situations when you may want to replace your air conditioner and/or furnace; however, of course, there is a best time of year for replacing!
Best times of year to replace your HVAC system
Fall and spring are usually the best time of year to replace your HVAC system. After that, many HVAC companies are usually in their “peak seasons”.
Why? Here are a few reasons:
- You may be without AC or heat for a few days. Most people do just fine without AC or heat for a few days, but it can be an unbearable experience if it is the middle of July! It is usually not a big deal to be without heat or AC for a few days during the spring and fall months.
- Your HVAC company usually is not extremely busy. Air Temp Solutions handles most of our service calls during the peak summer months and the winter cold fronts. During these months, your heater or air conditioner is working the hardest to keep your home comfortable, and that is when most systems tend to fail.
- Better pricing. During the spring and fall months, your HVAC company may offer special discounts on new system installation since there is usually less demand during this time. There are also some great manufacturer incentives, such as equipment discounts or rebates promoted during the spring and fall season.
So, there are a lot of good reasons to replace your HVAC system during spring instead of the middle of summer. You can end up saving money in the long run, get scheduled right away, and not have to deal with the situation of being stuck without AC or heat during the time you need it the most!
Do you need advice on when to replace your HVAC system?
Air Temp Solutions can do a complete check and analysis of your unit and let you know if now is a good time to replace your HVAC system. If your furnace or air conditioner still have some lifespan left in them, we will let you know! We’ll always be upfront with you about the condition of your heating and cooling system.
If you are interested in talking more in-depth regarding replacing your air conditioner and/or furnace, our trusted system advisors are always available and ready to meet you at your home and discuss your needs.
Not only do our system advisors take into account your personal needs, but they also take several measurements of your home. This ensures we can offer the best HVAC system to keep your energy bills low and your family comfortable all year round.
If you are interested in setting up an appointment with one of our system advisors to discuss your options, give our office a call at (302) 240-4368 or send us a message.